The Linden Roselle Sewerage Authority
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs chemical, physical and microbiological analyses on samples of industrial wastewater, plant influent, partially treated wastewater, sludge, effluent, stream water samples and other samples as required, according to Standard Methods. Operates and maintains instruments and equipment required for analytical work. Prepares chemical and microbiological media and test solutions used in the laboratory. Tabulates and performs statistical results of laboratory and field data. Performs and maintains records of QA/QC procedures. Performs custodial duties in laboratory including the washing of laboratory glassware. Performs related and other duties as assigned.
Works under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor or his/her authorized representative.
May supervise laboratory personnel of lesser qualifications if assigned to do so by the Laboratory Supervisor.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
· Performs chemical, physical and microbiological analyses as instructed by Laboratory Supervisor
· Operates and maintains instruments and equipment for laboratory analyses.
· Prepares chemical and microbiological media, stains, reagents and test solutions used in laboratory and field analyses.
· Maintains records of laboratory and field analyses.
· Tabulates and performs statistical results of laboratory and field data.
· Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies required for laboratory analyses.
· Performs custodial duties in laboratory.
· An Associates Degree in Biological, Chemical or Environmental Science and three (3) years experience as a Laboratory Assistant/ Technician or,
· A Bachelors Degree in Biological, Chemical or Environmental Science and one (1) year experience as a Laboratory Assistant/Technican.
· Experience in laboratory analysis of water, wastewater and wastewater sludges is preferred.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
· Working knowledge of the laboratory practices, test techniques, equipment and terminology in the field wastewater analysis.
· Ability to successfully carry out detailed oral and written instructions.
· Ability to maintain concise laboratory records and prepare reports.
· Be familiar with basic concepts of statistics.
· Knowledge of Standard QA/QC Laboratory Procedures.
· An interest in performing a wide variety of chemical analyses and general laboratory procedures.
· Must be reliable, thorough, and dependable with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
· Must be thoroughly safety conscious when performing duties.
· Must receive directions well and be willing to learn.
· Must be self- motivated.